Mike Brown: Covington getting passed over for title shot is ‘devaluing the belts’

Colby Covington may be the UFC interim welterweight titleholder, but he is not getting the next shot at current champion Tyron Woodley. Instead, “The Chosen One” will be facing number two-ranked contender Darren Till at UFC 228 on September 8th.

The decision was made on Tuesday, after it was revealed that Covington would be unable to fight on the said date due to a sinus condition, and these developments have caused frustration within his team.

“I’m pretty bummed about it,” former UFC fighter and Covington’s coach Mike Brown told MMA Fighting. “I just feel like its devaluing the belts. You can’t just make every fight a title fight if it doesn’t go your way.”

“It just doesn’t seem right; it doesn’t seem like it’s good for long-term value for the titles. That’s a big problem. That’s the bottom line, I think they’re devaluing the belts. Everybody sees it.”

Brown said that Covington is “upset” with how the situation turned out, but the team remains assured that their fighter will be facing the winner between Woodley and Till.

“I think that he’ll be the guy they’ll want to fight the winner, I’m sure,” Brown said. “He’s the guy that I think has earned that spot. I think he’s also drawing a lot of attention. I think it’ll also have the best numbers. I’m sure we’ll see it. But it’s just a shame how they’re going about it.”

“I think the bigger fight would have been Colby,” he added. “Let it wait a couple months. Everybody wants that fight. I think Woodley wants the fight, I think Colby wants the fight. I think a couple months later wouldn’t have hurt anything. It’s really frustrating.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amanda Nunes wants Cris Cyborg bout in December: We need time ‘to make this huge’

UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt 2 - Fight Pass prelims preview

Bethe Correia pulled from UFC 227, Irene Aldana won’t get replacement