Cris Cyborg on Amanda Nunes: ‘I think this will be my last fight in the UFC’

It hasn’t been made official, but it’s expected that UFC women’s featherweight champion Cris Cyborg will defend her title against reigning bantamweight titleholder Amanda Nunes in a champ vs. champ superfight at UFC 232 in December.

Cyborg, real name Cristiane Justino, would prefer to fight Nunes at the upcoming UFC 228 pay-per-view on September 8 and states that, if left until December, it could be the last time we see the Brazilian compete under the UFC banner.

Cyborg’s UFC contract expires in March, 2019.

“I think this fight will be my last in the UFC, because my contract expires in March,” Cyborg told Brazilian television show Combate News, per MMA Fighting’s Guilherme Cruz, “and doing this fight in December, I think it will be the last that people will see me fight.”

The 33-year-old has criticized Ultimate Fighting Championship for lack of interest in developing the women’s featherweight division and is less than impressed with the featherweight roster for The Ultimate Fighter 28, many of whom compete in the bantamweight division.

“They are doing the TUF house and cut all the girls from 145,” Cyborg said. “They only added girls that can make 135. Holly Holm said she doesn’t want to fight now. There’s Pam Sorenson, she tried out for TUF and didn’t make it, I think they didn’t add her because she can’t make 135. There’s Cindy Dandois, who beat Megan Anderson as well. There’s Ediane Gomes, who sends me messages challenging me all the time, who is also from my division.”

Cyborg, who has opened as a -220 betting favorite over Nunes, reiterated that she is not happy about having to wait until December to get her hands on ‘The Lioness’.

”There are girls that can fight, from my division. But they don’t want that, they only want me to fight Amanda. But we have to wait 10 months, almost a year to make this fight happen.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amanda Nunes wants Cris Cyborg bout in December: We need time ‘to make this huge’

UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt 2 - Fight Pass prelims preview

Bethe Correia pulled from UFC 227, Irene Aldana won’t get replacement