Cris Cyborg: It’s not fair to have me sidelined because Amanda Nunes ‘wants to go out on vacation’

Over the past few months, there have been loud talks of a possible fight between Cris Cyborg and Amanda Nunes. And if it were up to “The Lioness”, the fight will take place in December to give more time to build it up.

Cyborg, however, is not pleased with this timeline, as she hopes to get to compete more than once in 2018, and considering that Nunes may be her last fight in the UFC.

“If you watch her interviews, it’s like she’s going out on vacation,” Cyborg told MMA Fighting. “My job is fighting. I want to fight. I don’t want to stay out for almost a year in my prime. I think it’s disrespectful. … Dana (White) took Colby Covington’s belt. He won that belt two months ago and was stripped because Tyron Woodley wants to fight and he’s injured.”

“How about me, who wants to fight? She challenged me six months ago and still needs six months? She said she’s going to travel with her girlfriend. No problem with that, but I’m ready to fight. A champion must be ready at all times. I want to fight now, and when she’s ready we can fight.”

Cyborg feels it is unjust to not give what is due her, as she also feels she is being somehow deprived of making a living.

“With my fans helping me, I think I can fight sooner,” Cyborg said. “It’s not fair to have me sidelined in my prime because Amanda wants to go out on vacation. I’m the champion for 10 years, before the UFC had women fighting.”

“I’m the champion and that’s how I make a living. We only get paid when we fight, and I’ll stay out for almost a year waiting for Amanda.”

If the Nunes fight does not pan out sooner, Cyborg says she is willing to defend her title in a non pay-per-view event in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The next one would be UFC Fight Night 137, which takes place on September 22nd.

“If the only option is Sao Paulo, I want to fight. Fans will love watching me fight in Sao Paulo,” Cyborg said. “It can be on a smaller card. I just want to fight.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amanda Nunes wants Cris Cyborg bout in December: We need time ‘to make this huge’

UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt 2 - Fight Pass prelims preview

Bethe Correia pulled from UFC 227, Irene Aldana won’t get replacement